Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Introduction

For a long time I have been working to understand all the names and titles of God. It started when Tom Wood taught on it in one of his sermons it caught my attention. You heard him called God, Lord, and Jesus but the other things were a hidden treasure. This afternoon I checked out two mysteries. I like searching for clues and figuring things out. To me the various names were a trail of clues leading to a true understanding of God. Not only were there the bits of the puzzle hidden in the Hebrew and the Greek language. But other pieces were hidden in plain view like Jesus being referred to as the stone rejected by the builders which became the cornerstone. I began what Would turn out to be a twenty year quest.

Along the way I found a number of authors and for a long time I wanted to join them with a book on the names of God. For a while in my arrogance I wanted to combine everything I could find into the ultimate reference on the names of God. As if I could surpass Nathan Stone, Herbert Locker, Lester Summerall, Kay Arthur, all the others who had written on a topic. I also considered writing poems with each name, because back when I first started the study I was writing a lot of poetry. I considered writing a series of devotionals about the time I was ready to do this Elmer Towns wrote one. Mine would have been different but I doubt I could do a much better job. Now I don’t know if there will ever be a book. I do know I will be informally discussing what I have discovered over the years, and what I am finding as I go.

No comments: